We have exercise classes designed and supervised by our allied health professionals (physios and exercise physiologists) to keep you fit and flexible. No more excuses as to why you can’t exercise. Our practitioners customize your classes to your level of fitness and function to ensure you are safe but challenged and they provide excellent supervision.
Movement is Life
If you don’t use it, you lose it.
Our Agility Health Centre staff can customize your exercise workout and advise you as to the best fit for you from our wide range of classes.
Supervised exercise sessions provide the motivation and the reassurance that you are exercising with good form, being effective, efficient and safe.
What’s on offer
Clinical Pilates (CETIR)
A well- designed Pilates program will give you strength, flexibility, core stability and balance.
We merge the art of Pilates with the science of physiotherapy to design you a client specific program that works on all your specific deficits regarding muscle weaknesses and tightness.
We can help you recover from injury or surgery or to attain your optimal performance if you are an athlete or dancer.
We can cater for everyone from fragile injured clients to elite athletes. We design rehab programs for injury or surgery. We take you from being the casual exerciser to helping you enjoy exercise and the wellness you will feel when you get stronger. Our dance and sports physiotherapy experience equips us to design programs for all levels of activity.
We have spacious Pilates exercise studios incorporating Reformer, Trap table (Cadillac) Wunda chair and Barrel at Ascot and Bulimba. Our Bulimba studio has the best views in town with 180 degree views of the Brisbane river. Our Ascot studio looks over a leafy edged car park with glimpses of the Eagle farm race course.
After a few one-on-one sessions to teach you the basics of your customized program you can join our group classes supervised by one or our allied health professionals or you can opt to continue with one on one supervision.
Women’s health classes
We have safe physiotherapy designed Pilates equipment classes for you during pregnancy and to assist your recovery after child birth. See our Women’s health section
KLT Training – Kinetic Link Training
Bring your strength and body balance training to a new level with our strength circuit classes.
KLT is a precise and comprehensive full-body functional strength and conditioning training system. KLT involves using the arms and legs together in whole body exercise positions with controlled movement.
All the exercises are in standing while the participant pulls or pushes cables attached to weights, uses resistance bands, lifts dumb bells and perform lunges and squats with the legs.
KLT, like Pilates makes many muscles work together in a functional way. In KLT training you will learn to master biomechanically balanced exercises and challenge the core and stabilizing muscles. The KLT class is run as a circuit class. There are many reps of exercises in a class and you are sure to have a sore butt after!
Unlike high intensity circuit exercise classes each rep of an exercise is controlled and slower. That precision of movement makes it more challenging. It’s all in standing so your balance and weight transfer is also challenged. A great way to improve your sporting performance for activities such as golf.
Need some personal training with our experienced allied health practitioners
Gym sessions with physio or EP
- Gym based sessions involves functional rehabilitation performed in a gym setting. These sessions include the use of gym equipment are generally progressions from a clinic – based rehabilitation or hands on treatment program. During these sessions, exercises supervised by a Physiotherapist or an Accredited Exercise Physiologist ensuring that the correct technique is used and that exercises are performed safely and progressed appropriately to achieve the best outcomes.
Who are they for:
- Clients looking to return to sport/exercise/ gym post injury.
- Client requiring supervision during gym-based exercise.
- Clients progressing current/previous programs.
- Progress rehabilitation
- Improve gym based lifting patterns.
Improve functional strength and stability
We run hydrotherapy sessions at the Ascot and Colmslie pools.
Hydrotherapy is a great treatment tool for early rehab from joint replacement or other serious surgeries , arthritis and chronic pain
It is also a great way to do cardio exercise if your balance or joint pain prevents you from land and gym based exercise.
We can see you regularly for supervised sessions or design a program , take you through it once and let you work on it independently
See more info on our Hydrotherapy page – Link
Mental Health and exercise
With the fast pace of life, constant bombardment from social media and computers, and the turbulence of the COVID lockdowns, we are seeing mental health issues becoming more and more evident in our community
Whether you have anxiety, depression, general mental health conditions, exercise is featuring as one of the positive ways to “treat” your mental health condition
Here are some of the ways that exercise positively influences your mental health:
- Exercise promotes the release of feel-good chemicals in your brain, like endorphins and serotonin.
- Exercise helps you sleep better so you rest fully at night and feel more energized during the day.
- Exercise gives you a sense of accomplishment as your fitness improves and you start achieving your goals.
Our allied health practitioners can assist you with selection of the type of exercise and what class to join. Joining a class is also a great way to monitor your adherence. You are supervised and you are part of a group.
Book in to see one of our allied health practitioners for advice about where to start.
GLAD classes = arthritis management
What is GLA:D? GLA:D®, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms. This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain. We run the GLAD classes at Agility Physiotherapy and Pilates
WHY – Arthritis affects about 3 million Australians and many are below retirement age.
Why Exercise for arthritis ?
Current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatments for osteoarthritis. Despite this, many progress straight to drugs and surgery as first treatments, without trying safer, effective methods. 70% of those on waiting lists for joint replacement in Australia have tried tablets and nothing else!!
Can’t I just get an injection
There is not much proof that these are effective. University of Sydney researcher Professor David Hunter reported that most injections don’t work and cost a lot
Click on the link below for a recent TV news feed
- Losing weight
- Education about managing pain and exercising
Join our GLAD education series and when this has been completed you can continue to manage your arthritis by joining Clinical Pilates, KLT or bones and balance.
If you cant make these classes see our physios for tailored exercise programs that you can do in our studios or at home at a time convenient to you.
Even if a joint replacement is eventually inevitable being strong and flexible before surgery makes your recovery much faster and streamlined.
What’s on for Seniors Exercise Classes
Not so young anymore
Wanting to travel as you retire, need to keep up with the demands of child care as a grandparent. In response to these goals, we have a number of classes for seniors.
This is an instructor led group class for older clients (or deconditioned couch potatoes) utilizing the large Pilates equipment. No need to try to memorise the exercise and change the springs. Classes at both Ascot and Bulimba locations! We offer a welcoming and gentler approach to exercise during Silver Pilates sessions. This class focuses on the specialized needs of this demographic which include:
- Gentle mobility
- Back, Glute and Core strength
- Increased circulation
- Postural awareness
- Silver Pilates is a group taught, equipment- based, Pilates class. The group class is taught by either a Physiotherapist or accredited Exercise Physiologist who would ensure that exercises are performed safely and with good form. Exercises performed in this class is focused on full body strength and mobility.
Who are they for?
- Silver Pilates is mainly catered for Seniors.
- Anyone is welcome.
- Full body focused.
- Improve core strength and stability.
- Improve full body mobility.
Bones and balance classes
The aims of this class are to:
- Improve Balance –both dynamic and static balance
- Enhance coordination and confidence with movement
- Increase bone density through weight bearing exercises
Small apparatus like Swiss balls and Bosus will be included in the class to add a challenge and especially focus on balance. Weights are used to assist with strength and bone loading.
- Bones & balance is a 1-hour group exercise class focused on improving bone loading as well as static and dynamic balance. Exercises are generally low to medium intensity functional exercises that safely challenge clients balance and with the use of light weights provide adequate bone loading to improve bone density.
Who are they for?
- Clients with an increased falls risk
- Clients with low bone density
- Improve static and dynamic balance.
- Improve righting and equilibrium reactions.
- Improve stability during functional movement patterns.
If your doctor has diagnosed Osteoporosis, or osteopenia your doctor will probably recommend:
- Important lifestyle changes
- Medication to stop further bone loss and prevent fractures
- Bone loading exercise and Falls prevention measures (as falls can lead to breaks)
Join our weight circuit for bone loading and strengthening exercises
- Weight circuit classes are 45min strength-based exercise class focused lifting heavy through functional movement patterns. Exercise classes are predominantly medium to high intensity station-based classes with timed working and rest periods.
Who are they for?
- Clients with osteopenia (low bone density).
- Clients looking to improve full body strength.
- All ages welcome.
- Improve full body strength.
- Improve bone loading and bone density.
- Improve lifting technique.
A slightly more challenging class than Silver Pilates and Bones & Balance. This class focuses on building strength with resistance exercises
Other group classes
This is a class specifically for Parkinson’s disease where the goal is improving neuroplasticity of the brain and enhancing movement and balance.
See our Parkinson’s Disease specific section for more information
We run hydrotherapy sessions at the Ascot and Colmslie pools. Hydrotherapy is a great treatment tool for early rehab from joint replacement or other serious surgeries , arthritis and chronic pain.
It is also a great way to do cardio exercise if your balance or joint pain prevents you from land and gym based exercise. We can see you regularly for supervised sessions or design a program , take you through it once and let you work on it independently.
See more info on our Hydrotherapy page